Thursday, 24 November 2011

Top 5 Eco-Friendly/Energy Saving Gifts for Christmas

Using less energy and thus emitting less CO2 is very important. I know I always find myself lecturing my family and friends about it or reminding them that they can recycle that letter and envelope or that old TV. So I thought what better gifts could I get that would really show my personality and help them save energy and money. So here are my top 5:



5. Sun Jar Solar Light

This is a good gift for anyone in my opinion because it is pretty and everyone could find a use for it. It is a solar light that is a nice yellow orange colour. I imagine it would look very pleasant inside or outside.

This can be bought from many online retailers such as big names, such as Amazon and Play.com, or Home4Eco, for £16.99+:





4. Mobile Phone Enviroplug ~ £9.99+

This plug works with mobile phones and some other devices. It turns off once the mobile phone has finished charging. Useful when charging a phone overnight.

This can be bought from many online retailers from £9.99:


3. Radiator Booster ~ £24.95+

As seen on Dragon's Den, this device increases the efficiency of one radiator - saving money. I personally have this in mind for a parent as their bedroom is above a garage and is often cold. Therefore, I thought this might help to warm their bedroom up faster and keep it warm.

This can be bought from many websites from £24.95:



2. Efergy Elite Energy Meter ~ £39.99+
An energy meter shows information about energy consumption and where it is being used. Please note that energy monitors need to be clipped to an energy meter to tell the consumption. In addition, this particular model has an in-depth memory so it can show you how much energy was used last week or last month - very useful for comparisons and for seeing if you are using less energy each month.

The function of this device will help households to understand their own consumption and where they could lessen it. So, might not be suitable for all recipients but possibly family and close friends.

This device can be bought from Eco-friendly product websites such as Green Stamp from £39.99:




1. USB Rechargeable AA Batteries ~ £8.50+
























I think this is amazing! As a household, we do go through lots of batteries - especially households with young children as EVERYTHING needs batteries! This is definitely better than buying new batteries every time - think of the price paid, the packaging (OK, most of it is cardboard which can be recycled but recycling uses energy too!), the recycling of them after - or the dump they end up in for those who are too lazy to recycle! Yuk!

They work like normal AA batteries and when they run out, you plug them into a USB port to charge them up and then away you go.

I will be buying at least two of these even if they aren't presents because I love the idea of them! Goodbye to storing dead batteries for ages to recycle them and to nasty leaky batteries!

These can be bought in the UK from many online retailers including big brand names, such as Argos and Play.com, as well as Eco product sites such as Nigel's Eco Store and Home 4 Eco. Prices from 8.50.


No comments:

Post a Comment